Friday, July 27, 2012

Ellikinssss.


The sky was blood red and the grass emerald green, the sun shone in the sky and bounced off her blonde locks through the large windows. She let her hair fall in front of those sea green eyes and she smiled slightly, she had a delicate smile – it looked like if she spoke she’d crack. She had rather delicate features, more delicate than the wings of a butterfly.
The woman opposite her started fiddling with her jacket, as though she was about to leave. “I’d hope you weren’t going to leave me. I don’t like being on my own, remember?” She said, with a Yorkshire accent – it seemed to have surprised a few of the people sat in the pub close to her, she rarely spoke to anyone.
“Why would I leave you?” A woman spoke. “My dear, you are quite special and I need your help with this. I wouldn’t leave you. I need you, now more than ever. I won’t leave you, so long as you promise not to leave me.” She said softly, looking at the blonde woman. “I’m just going to get a drink. Would you like anything, Ellie?” She then up and the sapphire dress she wore reached just below her knees. The dress was as delicate as Ellie’s features. The woman’s brunette hair and icy blue eyes matched the dress well – she was rather fashionable. “I take it as though you don’t want anything, then. Ellie?” her voice was strong and demanding, the American accent of hers was obvious to everyone and just about anyone would struggle to hide that.
“Huh? Oh, um. Urh…I’m fine, thank you. I am not so thirsty, today. Thank you for asking, though.”
“Okay then, Ellie.” She turned away and walked towards the bar, her heeled black boots clanking against the dark wooden floor. As she walked her long hair swayed slightly and not one strand of hair was out of place. She walked through the door way, closing the heavy door behind her.
Ellie stared out of the window, at the few people walking around in the streets. She wondered why there were so few people out, but then she turned her head ever so slightly to the left so that she could see a quartz clock, it showed the time to be 4:02 in the morning – no wonder she felt so tired. She fought a yawn and turned her attention back to the window; London looked so pretty at night. The lights danced off the puddles on the streets and a gust of wind came through the cracked window above her, she shivered slightly.
“Cold?” Came a voice from behind her making her jump. The voice was deep and strong – definitely a man’s voice. She couldn’t place his accent, but it was nice and warm. “Would you like to borrow my jacket? You must be cold in that outfit, I mean; you’re wearing shorts and a lace-up top? Wow, you’ve got to be freezing in that.” He passed her his varsity jacket; it was a purple-red colour. She turned to him, put on his jacket and smiled warmly.
“Thanks, um…I’m Ellie, it’s nice to meet you...Wait, what’s your name, anyway? I just realised, you gave me your jacket and I don’t even know who you are.” She laughed slightly and he smiled back, taking the seat opposite her.
“My name is Greg; it’s very nice to meet you. Oh and I know who you are, already. Most people in our community are aware of who you are, very few have met you, though.” He smiled and brushed his fluffy hair out of his face and it just fell back to how it was before. She examined him for a moment; she couldn’t decide whether he was Japanese or Korean, she pondered it for a moment, hardly listening to what he was saying.
“Sorry, what were you saying? I was just thinking about something…” She smiled hopelessly. “I have a fairly short attention span, you see. I apologize if I do this again; it’s sometimes hard to get my attention.”
“It’s fine; I do the same from time-to-time. To answer your question, I am Korean – I picked up the London accent because I have lived here for 19 years of my life, I moved from South Korea at the age of 3. Now, you need to listen to me, this is the important part,” Greg said to her, keeping his eyes on her at all times. She looked rather startled that he knew what she was thinking but still nodded and listened. “You’re very important, you may not think so, but you are. I have known who you are for a long time, as have most people from my community. Are you here with anyone?”
“Um, yes? I don’t understand most of this, but I do know that I am here with a woman who said she was called Lisa; I met her a few months back. She and I started talking in a comic store, near Leicester Square; we were both looking for the same manga – Full Metal Alchemist. There was only one copy left of the one I needed to complete my collection and she needed the same copy and that’s how we got talking. We ended up going to the Rain Forest CafĂ© for lunch and she left me with her e-mail address and phone number to get into contact with her when I was in London, again. We met up here accidentally and we’ve been here for a couple of hours.” She looked at him, guiltily. “Have I done something wrong? You look worried…”
“I know this woman, she is against us. She wants to use you, I know I may not seem the most trustworthy at this moment, but please just believe me.  You have to come with me. I know you have no family and trust no-one, which is why you have no friends and is also why you hate being in solitude. I know that you’re only 19 years of age; you were 3 years old when your parents died. You have no siblings, you had been staying in an orphanage up until you were 16, then you moved out on your own and you stay in one place for no longer than 3 days. You’re of above average intelligence and when you were in Comprehensive school you got 100% in all of your exams, you spoke to no-one and never revised. You’ve never been to school for any reason other than the exams themselves. You’re quiet and collected, you’ve never had a real friend, yet you’ve had a fair few boyfriends. You enjoy reading manga and listening to rock music as well as Korean pop and Japanese rock. You speak French, Spanish and Korean fluently as well as your mother tongue, English. You’re, also, learning Japanese when you can be bothered. Shall I go on?” He said, he didn’t smile once nor did he frown. His face showed no emotion, apart from his eyes…His eyes showed fear, not for himself, but for her.
“If you’re so sure, I guess I can trust you. But why would she want to use me? And why are you trying to ‘save’ me. You said that I am very important and people from your ‘community’ know who I am, however I have never met them and I keep myself to myself. How do you know so much about me? Why do you need to know so much about me? Why am I of importance to anyone else? I am rather confused by the majority of this, to be completely honest with you.” She didn’t smile, this time. She just frowned and her eyes sparkled more, with sadness. Being confused was an extremely strange feeling for her; it wasn’t a normal thing for her. She’d never been truly confused before, she hated this feeling, already. “You better explain all of this to me!”
“You’re special; you have powers which very few possess. You’re the only person known to possess powers as strong as yours; your father was an extremely important man in our community. She wants to use you because she wants your power. I am trying to save you, because we need you to be safe and not to fall into the hands of a person with ill intentions and a crooked heart, such as her. I know so much about you because my father was a good friend of both of your parents and I need to know so much about you because I swore to look over you. You’re of great importance to us because of reasons I cannot discuss here. If you come with me, I can keep you safe until Gregory arrives with Paul and the others.  Come with me, please…” He held out his hand for her and she forced a smile. Rather than taking his hand, she gave him back his jacket.
“I can meet with you at noon, we can talk more then. You should be going now; I think Lisa will be on her way back, soon. Go, now. Here’s my number, call me later with a location!” She passed him a crumpled piece of paper and kissed him on the cheek. “I promise to get in contact with you before noon and I know how to slip away from her, I am rather talented with escaping without being noticed.”
“Okay then, I would really prefer for you to leave with me now, though. It’s fine, I shall call you at around 8 O’clock, make sure to pick up your phone. If you don’t pick up I will come looking for you, but here take this clip and do not lose it, keep it in your hair at all times!” He put a small clip in her hair, it was silver and a sapphire was placed delicately inside it. “I cannot lose you, this way. I am not leaving this pub until you leave; I will keep an eye on you as often as possible so just scream if you need me. You might not always be able to see me, but don’t doubt that I won’t be there.” He smiled and put on his jacket. She smiled back at him as he walked towards the corner and sat at a booth below the clock she looked at 20 minutes previous. He sat in the shadows as she was sat in the sun and he didn’t seem to be looking at her, but at the table.
She looked out of the window once again and the sky had started to become blue, the sun was rising now. It was extremely fascinating to her, the earth moved around the sun and caused it to seem as though the sun ‘rose’ and ‘set’. “Sorry I took so long, I decided to buy some food too and then I got talking with Pete – he’s rather nice. Anyway, I am sorry I kept you waiting, I hope you weren’t too bored.” Lisa said walking up to Ellie again.
“Oh, um, yeah. I was just looking at the sun rise, it’s beautiful, do you not think?” Ellie lied, she had become a good liar by now – she had been lying for a long time now, generally about her feelings. “I am getting rather tired, when it gets to 5 can we head off? I just don’t like looking like a zombie. If you want to stay here, I can go on my own to my flat and you can catch up with me later on.” She smiled, hopefully.
“Oh, okay then. How about we head off now? If you’re tired we can get going, now.” Lisa didn’t sit down but grabbed her bag and started walking towards the double doors at the front of the pub. “Let’s go, then.” Ellie followed her, reluctantly. To say Lisa was only 20 she seemed to have way more authority over Ellie than anyone else had ever had, it was pretty strange. Ellie smiled at Greg and he got up, slowly, to follow her.
“Hey, um, do you want to call me a little earlier than 8? We might be able to meet up earlier too; I am just going to my apartment in West London so I may be able to get free of her faster.” Ellie whispered to Greg.
“Yeah, sure. Okay then.  I also live in West London, actually – we could share a cab? We can say we spoke briefly earlier. I could ask you where you’re going and you say West London, then I can ask if you guys want to share a cab. It will make it much easier for me to keep an eye on you.” He whispered back, smiling.
“That’s not a bad idea, now I just need to catch up to Lisa so she doesn’t yell at me, or think I am leaving her, for that matter.” She smiled and caught up to Lisa, they started chatting and he was seriously on edge around her, there was something different about Ellie – she never used to be like this, no-one could tell her what to do when he knew her all those years ago. He kind of missed her, but he was her guardian and so he had to protect her.
They walked down a few more streets before Lisa and Ellie stopped. It began to drizzle and Ellie hugged herself, for warmth. “It’s really cold, out here.” Ellie shivered.
“Would you like my jacket?” Greg offered, for the second time tonight. “I’m Greg; it’s nice to meet you.” He smiled, warmly.
“I’m sure she is fine, whoev-” Lisa started.
“Thank you, very much, Greg – was it?” Ellie took Greg’s jacket and pulled it on; it was warm and smelled really nice. “Lisa,” Ellie said, turning towards her. “What are we supposed to be doing, again?”
“We’re getting a cab, to East London, so you can go home and get some rest, while I get some things.” She smiled, avoiding eye contact with Greg.

No comments:

Post a Comment